As you know, we are pretty big fans of quinoa over here. I find myself eating it 5 out of 7 nights/week in some fashion at dinner. It’s such a versatile little grain, I love thinking of new ways to incorporate it into our meals. Earlier this year, Seth was spending alot of time working from home–which meant that leftovers from dinner never made it past lunch for him the next day. In an effort to inject some creativity into his meals (and allow for a meal to actually be eaten over the course of two nights), I made a big batch of these quinoa cups one Sunday.
They are packed with protein (his favorite) because they include ham, cheese, eggs and quinoa. He ate them plain, crumbled them over spinach, put them in wraps, and mashed them up in a bowl with more…wait for it…eggs. We go through about 3 18-packs of eggs/week in this house, FYI. It’s a little insane.
Here is the lineup for these cups, minus the greek yogurt because I’m a space cadet.
Greek yogurt is IMPERATIVE in this recipe to keep them from drying out, so don’t be thrown off by it’s lack of presence in this photo. These little cups could not be simpler. Cook up some quinoa, dice up some ham, whisk together some eggs, shred some cheese, and chop up some spinach + green onions. You could put any other veggies you want in these-I think onion, kale, red pepper or tomato would all be great. Feel free to get creative!
Mix everything all up really well so that the eggs and greek yogurt are evenly distributed. Then just lightly spray a cupcake tin and fill ‘em up!
Bake them in a 350 degree oven for about 20-25 minutes or until they turn lightly golden on the top. Eat immediately, refrigerate for meals in the next few days, or pop them in the freezer to save for the future.
My favorite way to enjoy them was right alongside my eggs in the morning
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked quinoa
- 4 whole eggs + 4 egg whites
- 2 cups of spinach, shredded
- 2 cups of mexican cheese blend
- 1 cup of diced ham
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 cup plain non-fat greek yogurt
- salt + pepper
- Cook quinoa according to instructions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease your cupcake tins
- Meanwhile, dice ham and chop green onions + spinach
- Place cooked quinoa in a bowl with ham, green onions, spinach, eggs, cheese and greek yogurt
- Stir to thoroughly combine. Season with salt + pepper
- Spoon quinoa mixture into cupcake tins, filling them
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until the tops start to turn lightly golden
- Let cool for 5 minutes and then remove to cool further on a rack
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freeze for later use