The recipe I’m sharing with you today is what I would refer to as a “Thursday night meal”. We rarely go out to eat, which means that even on Saturdays and Sundays, I’m usually cooking dinner. I don’t usually mind on the weekend because I have more time, but during the week it can sometimes get tiring to cook something new every night. So usually by Thursday, I’m over it. I’m ready for more laid back dinner hours where I’m not running home from work, throwing on sweats and immediately heading into the kitchen. This casserole is the perfect thing to make when I’m feeling lazy.
The key to making this all come together quickly is having pre-cooked chicken and quinoa. Now this is totally standard to have in our fridge, but if it’s not so normal in yours, you may want to make this stuff one night earlier in the week and just have it in the refrigerator ready to go.
The other ingredients include corn, beans, spinach, cheese, greek yogurt and salsa.
Mix it all together, pour it into a casserole dish, bake it for 25-30 minutes and dinner.is.served. And it’s healthy too! Beans, quinoa and chicken all provide ample protein and fiber so you don’t have to feel guilty just because you’re eating a dish with “casserole” in the title.
This fills…like, to the brim…a 9×13 dish so sometimes I’ll split it between an 8×8 and and a 9×13 and then freeze the 8×8 dish (unbaked) to have at a later date. When I do it this way, the 9×13 dish still easily feeds Seth and I for two nights in a row with some leftovers for lunch. It’s easy and delicious-the perfect meal for busy weeknights
- 3 cups of cubed, cooked chicken breasts
- 1 cup of uncooked quinoa (about 3 cups cooked)
- 1 can of corn
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 1/4 cup of torn spinach leaves
- 1 1/2 cups of 0% plain greek yogurt
- 1 cup of salsa
- 1 1/2 cups of grated mexican cheese blend
- Cook chicken and quinoa ahead of time
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Combine chicken, quinoa, corn, black beans, spinach, greek yogurt, salsa and cheese together in a bowl
- Mix thoroughly to combine and ensure that the yogurt is evenly distributed
- Pour into a 9x13 glass baking dish
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until heated through
- This can be made ahead of time and refrigerated or frozen as long as it's well covered