Okay so I feel a tiny bit bad actually calling this a recipe, so instead we’ll call it a “creative idea”. I mean it doesn’t get much easier than making rice krispie treats, but yet they are so unbelievably delicious. Dip them in milk chocolate and cover them with broken pretzels and toffee bars and you have yourself THE best rice krispie treat out there. Promise.
I’m not even going to bother showing you the steps for making RKT. Aren’t they like ingrained in everyone from age 4 up? Melt the butter and marshmallows, stir in the cereal, and pour it into a lightly greased 9×11 baking dish. I prefer the 9×11 size rather than 9×13 for this recipe because it makes thicker treats which is what we want since we will be cutting them in half.
While the rice krispies are setting, break up some pretzels and heath bars, about 2 cups of each.
When the bars are set (read: pretty hard, not that sticky or chewy), turn the pan over and release the entire bar at once. Then, cut into squares as you usually would-I cut 12 large squares. Next, take each square and cut it in half length-wise so that one square becomes two, but they have equal surface area on the top.
Now it’s time to melt your chocolate! I used milk chocolate chips but you could use dark, semi-sweet, white; whatever floats your boat.
Now dip one side of each treat into the chocolate and then immediately cover with the pretzel/heath bar mixture. Press gently down on the pretzel and heath bar pieces with a fork to secure them in the chocolate. Repeat for all the bars and then let the chocolate harden before you store them together-this takes about 30 minutes.
I now look at rice krispie treats as a vehicle to add something to. Any candy, pretzel, cookie or cereal combination you want–the options are endless! These are a great, quick dessert to make for any type of group function that you might have. Or…wait for it….Memorial Day picnic?!?! I know. You’re welcome.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 package of marshmallows
- 6 cups of rice krispie cereal
- 2 cups of broken pretzel pieces
- 2 cups of chopped heath bar toffee bars
- 1 cup of milk chocolate chips
- Make rice krispie treats by combining butter and marshmallows in a large saucepan over medium heat and stirring until melted and smooth
- Stir in rice krispie cereal and pour mixture into a lightly greased 9x11 baking dish
- Using a piece of wax paper, push down on the top of the treats to smooth them out
- Allow to set for about 30 minutes in the refrigerator
- When they have hardened, turn the pan upside down to release the entire block at once
- Cut into squares and then using a sharp knife, cut each square in half length-wise
- Melt the milk chocolate chips in the microwave until smooth, stirring every 30 seconds. This should take about 90 seconds
- Dip the top of each treat in the chocolate and then sprinkle with broken pretzel and toffee pieces. Using the back of a fork, lightly press down to secure the toffee and pretzel pieces in the chocolate.
- Allow to harden for 30 minutes and then store in an airtight container