I think it’s a common consensus that peanut butter and chocolate are one of the greatest combinations of all time. In my mind, the only people who can argue this are those that are allergic to peanut butter. I’m very sorry for you. But everyone else-you can’t deny the delicious beauty of the duo. These bars take that combination to a new level. They have a chocolate brownie base as well as chocolate mixed in with rice krispies for the top. And they have the peanut butter part covered with salted peanuts, chopped Reese’s peanut butter cups, and creamy peanut butter. I.Die.
When I first saw these posted on Jessica’s blog a few years ago, I immediately bookmarked them. I can’t even tell you why it has taken me this long to make them, but I think I honestly…forgot. And then I found them when browsing through recipes a few weeks ago in the midst of a meal planning rut. And yes, these are considered a meal. So don’t question me.
You start off by baking your favorite brownie mix, which for me has always been Betty Crocker. You could definitely make your own brownies too, but I had this box in my pantry and wanted to use it up.
Bake the brownies in a 9×13 pan for only about 20 minutes. You don’t want them to be totally baked because you’re going to cover the top with chopped peanuts and peanut butter cups and pop it back in the oven for another 5-7 minutes.
The brownies would probably be totally fine at this point, actually more than fine. But the recipe doesn’t stop there.
As the final step, you want to melt some chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter together in the microwave until it’s smooth and then stir in the Rice Krispies. Try very very VERY hard not to eat this straight from the bowl.
Spread it all over the top of the chopped peanuts and reese’s cups. Now here is the hardest part; these have to be refrigerated for about 2 hours before all the layers are totally set and you can cut into them without making a total mess. But feel free to sneak spoonfuls over the course of that two hour time period. It’s necessary to make sure they taste good.
Cut them into squares and find someone QUICKLY to share them with because they are equal parts addicting and stomachache-inducing.
The perfect chocolate and peanut butter indulgence!
- 1 box of your favorite brownie mix ( I used Betty Crocker )
- 1/2 cup salted peanuts, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chopped Reese's peanut butter cups
- 1 1/2 cups of milk chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups of creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 Tablespoon of butter
- 1 1/2 cups of Rice Krispies cereal
- Make brownie mix according to instructions. Pour into a lightly greased 9x13 pan and bake at 350 degrees for only about 20 minutes
- Remove the brownies from the oven and top with the chopped peanuts and peanut butter cups
- Put the brownies back in the oven and bake for an additional 6 minutes
- Melt chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter in the microwave until smooth and stir in the Rice Krispie cereal
- Pour this mixture evenly overtop of the brownies
- Refrigerate for about 2 hours before cutting into squares
- Store in an airtight container