Thai food is one of my favorite cuisines, next to Mexican and Sushi. But the thing I love most about thai food is that it’s super easy to make at home–definitely easier than rolling your own sushi roll. So let’s make some thai stir fry with my favorite ingredient…quinoa!!
The first thing you need to do is cook up some quinoa in light coconut milk. When all the liquid has been absorbed, set the quinoa aside and get started on the rest of the dish.
The other ingredients you’ll need include chopped green onions, chopped red pepper, fresh corn, shrimp, pineapple, ginger, garlic and cilantro.
Start out by heating a wok over medium heat. Be sure to spray it lightly with cooking spray! Then, add the green onions, garlic and ginger and stir it around for a minute or two to heat it through.
Now it’s time to add the eggs! Clear a space at the bottom of the wok and whisk three eggs together in a bowl. Pour the eggs into the wok and gently scramble. You also want to add the shrimp in at this time.
Once the eggs are almost done, but not completely, stir everything together, add the quinoa in and pour in the sauce which is just a mixture of soy sauce and fresh lime juice.
This dish is everything that thai food should be-sweet, salty, mildly tangy and delicious. You could add some red pepper flakes if you want to take the heat up a notch, but I’m a wimp when it comes to spice so the milder the better Enjoy!
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup of light coconut milk
- 1/2 cup of water
- 3 scallions, diced
- 1 tablespoon of minced ginger
- 2 teaspoons of minced garlic
- 1 cup of corn
- 1/2 cup of diced red pepper
- 1.5 cups of diced pineapple
- 1/4 cup of cilantro, chopped
- 3 eggs
- 3 Tablespoons of soy sauce
- Juice of one lime
- 1/4 cup of chopped peanuts
- Place quinoa in a medium saucepan with water and coconut milk and bring to a boil. Then, reduce to a simmer, plate the lid on the pot, and cook for about 15 minutes or until liquid has been absorbed.
- While the quinoa is cooking, heat a non-stick wok over medium heat
- Add scallions, ginger and garlic to the wok and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly
- Add in the corn, pineapple, red pepper and cilantro and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes
- In a separate bowl, scramble the three eggs together
- Move the ingredients in the wok to the side, forming a space at the bottom for the eggs
- Scramble the eggs in the wok-this should take about 3-4 minutes
- Just before the eggs are done, add in the shrimp
- Continue to toss everything together while the shrimp cook, which should take another 3-4 minutes
- When the shrimp begin to turn pink, add in the cooked quinoa, soy sauce and lime juice.
- Serve stir fry with chopped peanuts sprinkled on top!